MDA's legacy of progress has always started with families at the heart of all we do. For more than 65 years, we have been committed to saving and improving the lives of kids and adults living with muscular dystrophy and related life-threatening diseases. We are proud of our rich history and grateful to the dedicated families and supporters who have made today's progress possible. The victories of our past will lead to tomorrow's treatments and cures.
Summer Camp Volunteer
Child Care and Development
MDA Summer Camp
2019–Macleay Conference Center
Salem, OR; July13th–19th
MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) is looking for adult volunteers at MDA Summer Camps this summer! Sign up to be an MDA Summer Camp volunteer counselor or medical staff team member and help improve the lives of kids in their community who have muscular dystrophy and related diseases that severely limit muscle strength and mobility.
MDA Summer Camp is a life-changing experience for kids with muscular dystrophy and related muscle-debilitating diseases.
• Kids with muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy and related life-threatening diseases face daily challenges that often make "just being a kid" difficult. As their muscles progressively get weaker, children may lose basic functions such as walking, dressing, eating, talking or even breathing.
• MDA Summer Camp gives kids ages 8-17 the freedom to be kids with others who are just like them during a life-changing week of fun and friendship — all at no cost to their families.
• MDA relies on the support and dedication of volunteer counselors who are by campers’ sides day and night so that they can do all the fun activities that summer camp offers.
• Counselors, who serve as a "buddy" for the week, push wheelchairs, lift and transfer youngsters and provide assistance with activities as needed. They also participate in activities with the campers.
Criteria and responsibilities:
At MDA Summer Camp, volunteer counselors work with campers around the clock, providing the care, close supervision and attention children with muscular dystrophy and related diseases need.
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Be able to lift and care for campers and assist with their needs;
• Receive a favorable criminal background check;
• Attend the entirety of camp (July 13-19)
• Other requirements as needed
How to sign up and learn more today:
• Visit the MDA Summer camp website: https://www.mda.org/summer-camp/volunteer and click "Get Started" (in the box at the bottom of the page) labeled "Interested in becoming an MDA Summer camp Volunteer?" You can also learn more on this webpage about why MDA Summer Camp is a special experience for campers and volunteers.
• Contact your local MDA office in Portland, OR at (503) 223-3177 or email email@example.com